Welcome to Advent. The word itself means "arrival", like something is on the way. In this case, someone is on the way, and Christmas morning is in view. And getting to the manger scene is the journey of Advent. We are invited to walk the season slowly and thoughtfully, to mark the time as we go, and to take in what it all means. It's like this: "Christmas is coming, but there is so much do before then."
11/11 - Church Calendar "Lunch & Learn"
11/18 - Family Advent Boxes available
12/02 - First Sunday of Advent
12/02 - "Make-Your-Own-Donut" Sunday, from 9:00-9:30am
12/03 - Weekly Advent Devotions Begin (see below)
12/08 - Pride for Parents service day
12/09 - Second Sunday of Advent
12/09 - After-Church Brunch, Nana-G's Chicken & Waffles
12/16 - Third Sunday of Advent
12/16 - Fancy Gourmet Coffee Sunday!
12/23 - Fourth Sunday of Advent
12/24 - Christmas Eve Service, 6:00pm
12/30 - No Sunday Service
Weekly Devotional Emails
Beginning on Monday, December 3, we'll send out a weekly email devotions during the Advent season. These short readings are designed to bookend your weeks with encouragement and devotion. Sign up to receive these readings here.
Top 5 Neighboring Ideas
The Advent season comes with some built-in opportunities to neighbor (verb) well, and these our top five:
- Winter Clothes Drive - Create a simple flyer to let your neighbors know that you'll be collecting winter clothes through the month of December for men, women, and children in need.
- Dinner Party - Invite your neighbors over for dinner and share an evening of food, drinks, and good company. Have everyone bring some winter clothes to donate!
- Decorate For A Neighbor - If someone in your neighborhood is unable to light up their windows, etc. for whatever reason, help them out. Ask first, of course!
- Listen & Learn - Not everyone celebrates Christmas. Perhaps you have neighbors from other faith traditions. Ask them to share what their holiday traditions are and how they celebrate this season.
- Christmas Eve Invite - Invite a neighbor to our Christmas Eve service, December 24, 6:00pm
Advent Devotional Books
Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas, by Ann Voskamp
Preparing for Christmas: Daily Meditations for Advent, by Richard Rohr, O.F.M.
Living the Christian Year: Time To Inhabit the Story of God, by Bobby Gross
Advent for Everyone, by N.T. Wright
*From The Liturgical Year by Joan Chittister, O.S.B.